March 04, 2009

Weddings are Overpriced Nighmares

My sister, JoAnne, got engaged at Christmas and has asked me to plan her wedding.

I got prices from the venue she has chosen...

OMG!!!

Dinner & Open Bar: $91.00 per person - JoAnne has 150 on her guest list

Now think: wedding attire, cake, flowers, photographer/videographer, officiant, guest favors, rehearsal dinner...blah, blah, blah

All told, I figure this shindig is going to run about $20,000USD.

My Meltdown!

How does my sister figure anyone, let alone our parents, can justify $20K for one day?

Both our father and step-father are retired from Chrysler. Hello! They are just happy that they are still receiving their pension checks.

My mom and step-father have taken a part-time jobs to supplement the decrease in their health benefits.

Yeah, work 35+ years for a company, retire, and go get a part-time job (if you can find one) because every year your pension benefits are going to be reduced.

Alas, you have back-up... You paid into Social Security for those 35 years and now you can reap the benefits....LOL!!!! Enough Said!

My Point(s) - Big weddings are overpriced, 50% of couples get divorced, and the economy SUCKS

My Conlusion - Thanks to the internet and The Universal Life Church, I can legally officiate the ceremony. So, invite your closest peeps, buy a couple bushels of crabs, a keg of beer and we will party like rock stars!



3 comments:

  1. Yeah, I was just talking to one of my girlfriends who is upset her dad can only fork over 10K for her big day. I felt physically ill. It makes me crazy that people are so focused on one day rather than the marriage that comes after. No wonder there's so much divorce!

    Eloping? I think so. :-)

    - Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I with you on eloping.

    I tried to explain to my sister... use the $15,000 to pay off bills. That way when you get pregnant, you can quit your job and stay home to actually raise the child instead of having a daycare raise him/her.

    No luck :( What a waste of you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just getting back to this post now, but I totally agree on the childcare front. I already told my Mom she'd better figure something out because if I have to work when I have kids, it's going to be part time and she's going to have grandma duty the days I have to go in. I've worked in a daycare so I've seen that sie of it and as a kid who was taken care of by her grandmother instead of daycare providers with 10 kids to worry about, I'm all about making sure a kid knows they're special. My Mom-Mom had 5 of us at her house at any given time growing up but we each knew we were important to her and that we each had a voice. I feel like you don't get that sort of attention or learning experience at a daycare. Nor do you learn the joys of homemade Italian lunches. Man...now I want pastina.

    ReplyDelete